Blackpool Corporation Tramways



Owner Blackpool Corporation
Opened 12th September 1885 (electrical conduit)
Operator (lessee) Blackpool Electric Tramways Co
Took over (operation) 11th September 1892 (Blackpool Corporation) - following expiry of the company's lease
Taken over (operation) 11th July 1896 (Blackpool, St Anne's and Lythams Tramway Co) - 1.25 miles of corporation-owned track from Station Rd Terminus in Blackpool to Squires Gate
Taken over (operation) 29th September 1898 (Blackpool and Fleetwood Tram Road Company) - 1 mile of newly built, corporation-owned track from Gynn Square to Talbot Rd Station
First corporation operated overhead service 21st June 1899
Last conduit service Late June 1899
End of lease 26th July 1917 - Lytham Rd South line, though company cars continued to run along the line under a through-running agreement
Took over 1st January 1920 (Blackpool and Fleetwood Tramroad Company)
Name changed 1929 (to Blackpool Corporation Transport)
Length 20.97 miles
Gauge 4ft 8½ins

Button description (Pattern 1)
Title (‘Corporation Tramways’) surrounding arms (shield with seagull in flight on a background of waves; beneath a fleur-de-lys, thunderbolt and lion; surmounted by helmet, garland, tower and windmill sails) above motto: ‘Progress’
Materials known Black horn; brass
Button Line reference [None]

Button description (Pattern 2) Title (‘Blackpool Corporation Tramways’) surrounding arms (shield with seagull in flight on a background of waves; beneath a fleur-de-lys, thunderbolt and lion; surmounted by helmet, garland, tower and windmill sails) above motto: ‘Progress’
Materials known Nickel; chrome
Button Line reference [113/10]

Button description (Pattern 3) Title (‘Blackpool Corporation Transport’) surrounding arms (shield with seagull in flight on a background of waves; beneath a fleur-de-lys, thunderbolt and lion; surmounted by helmet, garland, tower and windmill sails) above motto: ‘Progress’
Materials known Chrome
Button Line reference [None]


Comment It seems likely, but by no means certain, that the Pattern 1 button is the earliest issue. Additionally, given that the Blackpool arms shown on all the buttons depicted were only granted in 1899, it seems reasonably likely that an even earlier pattern of button existed, especially given that cap badges with the pre-1899 'unofficial' arms have survived (see link).

As the department was renamed in 1929, uniforms ordered after this date would almost certainly have borne the Pattern 3 buttons.