Blackburn Corporation Tramways



Owner Blackburn Corporation
Opened 28th May 1887 (steam)
Operator (lessee) Blackburn Corporation Tramways Co Ltd
First horse service 25th August 1888
Took over (operation) 24th August 1898 (all lines previously leased to the BCTCoLtd)
Took over 1st January 1899 (Blackburn and Over Darwen Tramways [steam]) - all assets, with the exception of the tracks within Darwen
Took over (operation) 1st January 1899 (Darwen Corporation) - lines of the former B&ODT within Darwen
First electric route 20th March 1899
Last horse service Summer 1899?
Last steam service 8th July 1901
Name changed February 1933 (to Blackburn Corporation Tramways and Omnibuses)
Name changed April? 1937 (to Blackburn Corporation Transport)
Closed 3rd September 1949
Length 14.73 miles
Gauge 4ft 0ins

Button description (Pattern 1)
Title (‘Blackburn Corpn Tramways') surrounding shield with bees and river, surmounted by a dove, all above motto: ‘Arte et Labore’ (By skill and labour)
Materials known Nickel; chrome
Button Line reference [113/8]

Button description (Pattern 2) Title (‘Blackburn Corporation') surrounding shield with bees and river, surmounted by a dove, all above motto: ‘Arte et Labore’ (By skill and labour)
Materials known Nickel; chrome
Button Line reference [None]

Comment Given that the department was renamed in 1937, and newly painted tramcars certainly bore the title 'Blackburn Corporation Transport', new issues of uniforms after this date would have borne the Pattern 2 buttons.