Cardiff Corporation Tramways



Owner Cardiff Corporation
Took over
1st January 1902 (Cardiff Tramways Company Ltd [horse])
Operator Cardiff Corporation
First electric route 1st May 1902
Last horse service 17th October 1902
Took over 10th February 1903 (Cardiff District and Penarth Harbour Tramways Company [horse])
Name changed January (?) 1922 - to Cardiff Corporation Tramways and Motors
Name changed January 1933 - to Cardiff Corporation Transport
Closed 19th February 1950
Length 19.51 miles
Gauge 4ft 8½ins

Button description (Pattern 1) Title ('CARDIFF CORPORATION TRAMWAYS') within a border, surrounding a municipal device (a shield bearing three chevrons) with a crown crest, all above the motto: 'VILLA CARDIFF'
Materials known Brass
Button Line reference [113/23]

Button description (Pattern 2) Title ('CARDIFF CORPORATION TRAMWAYS') within a border, surrounding the municipal arms (a shield bearing a red dragon) with a Prince of Wales feathers crest, and dragon and seahorse supports, all above the motto: 'Y DDRAIG GOCH DDYRY CYCHWYN'.
Materials known Brass
Button Line reference [None]

Button description (Pattern 3) Title ('CARDIFF CORPORATION TRANSPORT') within a border, surrounding the municipal arms (a shield bearing a red dragon) with a Prince of Wales feathers crest, and dragon and seahorse supports, all above the motto: 'Y DDRAIG GOCH DDYRY CYCHWYN'
Materials known Chrome
Button Line reference [None]

Comment The Pattern 1 button is the earlier of the two tramway buttons as the supporters were not granted until 1907; additionally, the Pattern 2 button is the same overall design as the Cardiff Corporation Transport button that replaced it (Pattern 3). Uniforms bearing Cardiff Corporation Transport buttons were almost certainly issued from 1934 onwards, following the change in the name of the department in 1933.