City of Carlisle Electric Tramways Company Ltd



Owner City of Carlisle Electric Tramways Company Limited
Opened
30th June 1900 (electric)
Operator City of Carlisle Electric Tramways Company Limited
Taken over November 1911 (Balfour Beatty and Co Ltd)
Name changed 1926 - to Carlisle and District Transport Company Limited
Taken over 1931 (Ribble Motor Service Ltd)
Closed 21st November 1931
Length 5.73 miles
Gauge 3ft 6ins

Button description Title (‘THE CITY OF CARLISLE ELECTRIC TRAMWAYS CO LTD') within a border, surrounding a monogram of interwoven initials, 'CCETCo'
Materials known Nickel
Button Line reference [None]

Comment It is likely that uniforms issued after the Balfour-Beatty & Co take-over bore plain buttons with scalloped rims. In addition to the Carlisle system, BB&CoLtd also owned, operated or had a significant interest in the following systems: Cheltenham and District Light Railway, Dartford Council Light Railways, Dunfermline and District Tramways, Falkirk and District Tramways, Leamington and Warwick Electric Tramways, Llandudno and Colwyn Bay Electric Railway, Llanelly Tramways, Luton Corporation Tramways, Mansfield and District Light Railway, Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire Tramways, and Wemyss and District Tramways.