York Corporation Tramways (City of York Tramways)



Owner York Corporation
Took over 27th February 1909 (City of York Tramways Company)
Operator York Corporation
Last horse tram 7th September 1909
First electric route 20th January 1910
Name changed Late 1929 to York Corporation Transport Department
Taken over (operation) 1st April 1934 (York-West Yorkshire Joint Committee - a joint venture of York Corporation and the West Yorkshire Road Car Company)
Closed 16th November 1935
Length 8.49 miles
Gauge 3ft 6ins

Button description (Pattern 1) Title ('City of York Tramways') surrounding a quartered shield with five lions, all overlaying a crossed sword and mace, and surmounted by a cap
Materials known Nickel
Button Line reference [114/79]

Button description (Pattern 2) Title ('York Corporation Transport Dept') surrounding a quartered shield with five lions, all overlaying a crossed sword and mace, and surmounted by a cap
Materials known Nickel
Button Line reference [None]

Comments The name of the municipal undertaking responsible for the trams, buses and trolleybuses was changed to 'York Corporation Transport Department' in 1929. A photo has survived of a motorman wearing a jacket bearing 'YCTD' collar badges (see link), confirming that a switch was made to 'YCTD' insignia, new jackets presumably also bearing the Pattern 2 button.