Stalybridge, Hyde, Mossley and Dukinfield Tramways



Owner Stalybridge, Hyde, Mossley and Dukinfield Tramways and Electricity Board
Opened
15th October 1903 (electric) - Ashton boundary to Stalybridge line
Operator Ashton-under-Lyne Corporation Tramways
Opened 21st May 1904 - Stalybridge to Hyde via Dukinfield
Operator SHM&DT&EB
Took over (operation) 2nd July 1921 (2.63 miles within the boundary of Hyde, previously operated by Oldham, Ashton and Hyde Electric Tramways [a British Electric Traction Company subsidiary])
Name changed 1936 (to Stalybridge, Hyde, Mossley & Dukinfield Transport & Electricity Board)
Last SHM&DT&EB service 12th May 1945
Taken over (operation) 13th May 1945 (Manchester Corporation Tramways) - Hyde Corporation-owned line from the Denton-Hyde boundary to Hyde
Taken over (operation) 13th May 1945 (Stockport Corporation Tramways) - Hyde Corporation-owned line from Pole Bank to Hyde
Last SCT service 2nd March 1947
Last MCT service 30th December 1947
Length 21.19 miles
Gauge 4ft 8½ins

Button description ‘SHMDT’ monogram (overlaid initials) on a textured background
Materials known Brass; nickel; chrome
Button Line reference [114/68]

Comment The SHMD Transport and Electricity Board continued to operate buses until 1st November 1969 and appears to have made use of the same pattern of button throughout for both tramway and bus uniforms.