Stockport Corporation Tramways



Owner Stockport Corporation
Took over 1901 (Manchester Carriage & Tramways Company Limited) - lines within the borough
Operator (lessee) MC&TCoLtd (on behalf of Manchester Corporation)
First electric service 26th August 1901
Operator Stockport Corporation
Taken over (operation) 1st June 1902 (Manchester Corporation Tramways [electric]) - lines of the former MC&TCoLtd within the borough
Took over 24th January 1905 (Stockport and Hazel Grove Carriage and Tramway Company Limited [horse])
Last horse service 4th July 1905
Took over (ownership) 9th November 1913 (lines of the former MC&TCoLtd owned by Heaton Norris UDC, following absorption of that authority by Stockport)
Operator (lessee) Manchester Corporation (lines within Heaton Norris)
Operational change 1st February 1924 (mutual running powers agreed between Stockport and Manchester Corporations following expiry of the lease)
Name changed late-1920s (to Stockport Corporation Tramways and Omnibus Department)
Name changed circa 1935 (to Stockport Corporation Transport)
Took over (operation) 13th May 1945 (Stalybridge, Hyde, Mossley and Dukinfield Tramways) — Hyde Corporation-owned line from Pole Bank to Hyde
Closed 25th August 1951
Length 19.46 miles
Gauge 4ft 8½ins

Button description (Pattern 1) Title (‘Stockport Corporation Electric Tramways’) surrounding arms (shield with nine crosses surmounted by an empty banner and crown), with supporters (lion couchant and figure of Britannia)
Materials known Brass; chrome
Button Line reference [114/70]

Button description (Pattern 2) Title (‘Stockport Corporation Electric Transport’) surrounding arms (shield with nine crosses surmounted by an empty banner and crown), with supporters (lion couchant and figure of Britannia)
Materials known Chrome
Button Line reference [None]

Button description (Pattern 3) Title (‘Stockport Corporation Transport’) surrounding arms (shield with nine crosses surmounted by an empty banner and crown), with supporters (lion couchant and figure of Britannia)
Materials known Chrome
Button Line reference [None]

Comment Although the banner on the full Stockport Corporation coat of arms bore the legend 'Corporate Reform January 1836', close inspection of the buttons reveals the banner to contain vertical lines that give the impression of writing, rather than writing per se.

The Pattern 2 button is a something of a conundrum as Stockport only ran trolley buses — somewhat unsuccessfully — between 1913 and 1920, and this is much too early for a chrome button. This suggests that the corporation must have rebranded its tramway services at some point as 'Stockport Corporation Electric Transport'. However, given that Stockport changed its coat of arms in 1932 to a simplified version of the above (without the supporters and with a changed motto 'Animo et Fide'), this would imply that the button must have been in use prior to this, but after the advent of widespread chroming (i.e., between the late 1920s and 1932). Chrome buttons do indeed exist with the new simplified arms, but only bearing the name of the retitled undertaking, 'Stockport Corporation Transport' (Pattern 3), the change taking place in the mid-1930s.